Sunday, April 10, 2011

The Cecils

"Mickey" by Cecil Aldin


"Pup with Indigestion" by Cecil Aldin

"Mona & Harrison Williams - Palm Palm Springs" by Cecil Beaton


"Dorothy Hirshon" by Cecil Beaton

Sharing two of my favorite artists with you:  Cecil Aldin and Cecil Beaton.

I've posted Cecil Aldin's work before.  He was famous for his drawings/paintings of animals, usually dogs but also he did a lot of work for hunters (as in fox hunting).  His animals are always so animated and I just want to hug them.

Cecil Beaton is probably best known as a photographer.  He photographed everyone from Queen Elizabeth as a young woman to Babe Paley and other socialites of his day.  He was also a set designer for films.  My Fair Lady with Audrey Hepburn is one of his films.  But I like his drawings and paintings the best.  His painting style is now considered fashion illustration.  I don't care what you call it, but I like it.

Thanks for the feedback on the Lego Room.  I'll keep you posted.  If I have the courage, I'll take the "before" picture and post it along side the "after" picture.  But I'm working up the courage to share the disaster area online.

3 comments:

Margaret said...

They are lovely! By the way, have you ever read Her Royal series by Rhys Bowen. I'm enjoying them so much!! Lots of fun to read.

Arlene said...

Yes! Remember, a couple of posts before this, I had suggested the books to you, silly girl! Glad you like them. I've only read the first two. Which one are you reading?

Unknown said...

Cecil Aldin's dogs might as well be in the room with me, they seem so real. I love "Mickey."

Have never seen Cecil Beaton's artwork, though. They are wonderful, very evocative of his time, don't you think? But YOU could be wearing that dress, and it would look as though it had been made for you.