Sunday, April 1, 2012

Been here before

CO High Plains

This photograph could have been taken in Eastern New Mexico where I grew up.  Instead, it's in my current neighborhood.  I ask myself once again, how did this happen?  Some times I really mean it and other times I laugh about it. 

Last night we attended a birthday party for my sister.  It was located on the other side of Denver and the scenery is vastly different.  Lots of pine trees, hills, etc.  While it was beautiful I told the Roping Dummy I preferred our side of the state and it's flat land with the grown tree here and there.

I didn't really appreciate the high plains of my childhood.  I was too busy wanting to leave.  But I really appreciate my surroundings now.  Some times when I'm riding on the back road from the Sonic, drinking a cherry limeade with the windows rolled down and the Colorado Boy beside me, I think of a happy moment from my youth.

Now to be honest, if someone gave me a little house on Catalina Island, I wouldn't think twice and I'd haul all of us back to CA.  But for now, we will ride down the back road and drink our cherry limeades.

1 comments:

Margaret said...

Not how most of us imagine CO. I've been to Denver(just the airport) and then to CO Springs, which wasn't what I expected either. Maybe we just shouldn't expect. :)